Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2026

I no longer love my new dirt molecule!

Some of the Exema were running up and down their plant frantically and then flew away (they did eat the sagebrush I provided though). I think I shall return all of them to their habitat, they clearly are stressed somehow.

Elater lecontei have also been released a few days ago, as will the 2 remaining Tiaja (neither of which has apparently laid eggs) and Xerophloea (which seems unfertilized) soon.

Cryptocephalus spurcus
larvae are doing well tho, they doubled in size in like only a day or two. Also noticed they will eat lettuce like C. sanguinicollis.

Plans to rehome the disabled Eleodes acuticauda (which is miraculously still alive after all this time, having already seen 2 years, and in that time has lost only a palp even though old tenebs are supposed to be losing legs left and right) are also in the works, since I'm depressed and feeding it drains my mental health (plus it is doing that thing again where it won't hide under its provided shelters because they apparently emit some sort of bad odor only it can smell, and since it is so hard to find unmoldy bark here I'm not sure I can provide it a suitable replacement). Might get rid of the 6 or 7 surviving E. littoralis that I raised from the wild females' larvae too, depending on how stressed they are and I am (though currently they are apparently mostly inactive/buried and not throwing any fits unlike the acuticauda as far as I can tell).

The small millipedes are still doing somewhat ok though since they hide their eggs in the substrate where I can't euthanize them they are inevitably overpopulating as per law of nature and I always feel bad about it. That's why I like cryptocephalines and external-laying Auchenorrhyncha, if they're not laid underground or embedded in plant tissue you can just squish the eggs guilt free, it's not like eggs have feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment