Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

More significant annoyances

 The Physciella samples were once again ruined, though through no fault of my own. Why are physics and society hellbent on killing me to death?

Also, two days ago I noticed a Nyctoporis carinata larva running in circles around the surface, and it was emaciated-looking (I have also seen multiple thin but non-surfacing larvae in the distant past and amped up the cornflake rations in hopes of fattening them; they didn't help, and were not eaten very much). The surfaced larva made some efforts to chew a cabbage leaf and then reburrowed after a number of minutes of gnawing. I strongly suspect that nyctopores, unlike many commonly kept Tenebrionidae, have larvae that are so timid that they do not usually surface for food unless starving. And since the garden soil my larvae are in is not very nutritious, presumably they could not gain adequate nutrition when away from the surface. I buried a mushroom stem in the dirt in hopes of increasing their food intake and will add some underground carrots later.

No comments:

Post a Comment