Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

More lichens, part 1

What we had previously thought was Phaeophyscia hirsuta is actually Physciella chloantha! All my old commentary about hirsuta still applies though, except that chloantha is definitely not under conservational danger. The lichenologist I sent my samples to has declared that chloantha is rarely collected from California; mine is the first ever record from Los Angeles County and also highly unusual for being on an eucalyptus tree! Clearly lichens are just as scientifically unpopular as bugs; how else could a popular park filled with tons of chloantha escape researcher attention?

By the way, the chloantha samples I kept for cultivation purposes all developed moldy smells, despite the thalli appearing quite healthy; I had to throw them out. The wild yellow tree lichens suffered a similar fate, except that I was unable to throw out the tree. Even the lichenless tree parts smell terrible when moistened; how is a living branch growing mold?

Here are some microscope pics of chloantha the lichenologist sent me and gave permission to use; as mentioned before, gray thalli are dry and turn green seconds after hydration.








No comments:

Post a Comment