Pages

Saturday, July 8, 2023

Both of them turned out to be ovigerous females

Unfortunately today I had a meathead moment and unwittingly dumped one of the females in my yard because I thought I was holding an empty container. Felt so ashamed about it I had another mental breakdown (I do forgive myself, but still).

Also, here is a pic of the now-escaped one eating aquarium fish pellets (ingredients include fish meal + various grains and similar seeds) just for data's sake. It chewed that thing for hours. Blah blah another data point for "many detritivores love scavenging carrion", blah, etc.


Not that all detritivores are like that; Blaste oregona seems to refuse anything except some sort of unidentifiable bark dust (which is why I released the barklice a day after catching them; after the release they instantly began gorging on said dust and ceased their restlessness). Though I bet the lice'd still eat conspecifics dead of natural causes.

No comments:

Post a Comment