Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Not again

 Last night I saw my Nyctoporis carinata specimen repeatedly (but very slowly, since most of its legs are broken) pacing back and forth around a single area near the cage wall and trying to climb it. When I changed its substrate from paper to soil, it began walking in circles around the edge (my container is round) and continued to make climb attempts.

This isn't good. Some of you may recall that the thing I tentatively IDed as Gonocephalum and also most of the Coniontis I tried to keep exhibited the same behavior, and that no one knows why this happens. I hate problems like this, I followed all the protocols for proper tenebrionid care and it still keeps happening. Besides, since the nycto has no desire to hide under objects, we can rule out the "unsuitable hiding areas" possibility I had hypothesized the Coniontis were suffering from.

No comments:

Post a Comment