Pages

Friday, August 28, 2020

Diaperis/Cotinis minor updates

7 am specimen
Another sighting of D. rufipes, around 7 am! If I get enough sightings this year before its host's fruits die I'm going to make a graph of its circadian rhythm and population dynamics.

Update: saw one at eleven thirty, it was eating fungus and in the same spot as the 7 am one. I seem to have scared it off by flash photography, because it stopped eating and eventually retreated into a crevice.

Also I assume I saw a rufipes at noon yesterday, but it was deep within a crack so I couldn't see the diagnostic features. I highly doubt it was a different species though as no other things of the same shape really visit the area.




All three C. mutabilis specimens have now begun attempting flight occasionally indoors. Not sure why they started doing so but it's probably of little consequence, as my experiment had already failed long before they began.


No comments:

Post a Comment