Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2019

More pleasant observations

another view of the CA-native garden
Today was also an excellent day in the botanical garden; I was able to observe the small true bugs (mentioned in the previous post) again. Interestingly, some of the reddish nymphs appeared to "attack" conspecifics by chasing/pushing (I couldn't see the behaviors clearly) them away from seedpods, which seem to be a highly desirable food source.

The rest of my walk was rather uneventful, although I did see a single Strymon melinus adult performing nectar robbery on Sphaeralcea ambigua:
it is feeding from the side instead of the center





By the way, here is a bonus pic of Lithops pseudotruncatella groendrayensis in the desert greenhouse section; it has been on my wish list for quite some time due to its obligate non-clustering behavior (unfortunately I suspect that captive specimens are relentlessly boring though).

its lack of brown maculations is also pleasant

No comments:

Post a Comment